Date posted: 9/22/17
Provides oversight for all Omaha World-Herald Online Advertising initiatives, while also having direct sales supervision for the digital sales team. Primary responsibility for direct digital sales, recommendations and development initiatives related to Omaha.com website, as well as other digital sales and site-related planning and functionality which forwards our cause with products or verticals.
The Director of Digital Sales reports directly to the V.P. of Advertising and works closely with all other Advertising and World-Herald team members.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Directs the sales of all digital products while developing programs and ideas to increase digital advertising volume including those of retail, automotive, real estate, help-wanted and all other categories encompassing the Omaha World-Herald and internet site products.
2. Work with other supervisors and managers to ensure that digital product initiatives are launched, sold, and tracked.
3. Insure that all digital advertising conforms with the company’s standards of taste and fairness and the written procedures pertaining specifically to this type of advertising.
4. Assign responsibilities to digital sales professionals and delegate authority necessary to carry out these responsibilities.
5. Works closely with direct reports to provide training and guidance aimed at exceeding revenue targets and project initiatives.
6. Staff, train and evaluate personnel as well as make salary recommendations. In conjunction with the VP of Advertising, evaluate and document job performance of sales team members, document attendance, approve work schedules and job performance. Escalate any job deficiencies to VP of Advertising and/or HR.
7. Recommend measure to improve production methods and/or suggest changes in working conditions and use of sales tools/programs to increase efficiency of group.
8. Develop promotions to increase use of online advertising via marketing strategy in association with the VP of Advertising.
9. Serve as the expert for online advertising products and answer questions from other outside and inside ad sales professionals serving other print products.
10. Work closely with the Credit Manager to assist in collecting delinquent accounts.
11. Keeps informed about industry and competitive trends and developments.
12. Responsible for tracking digital sales performance by product line.
13. Approve request for credits and personally handle serious customer complaints.
14. Accurately prepare and promptly submit all required reports, including budget requests. Provide monthly performance results to both digital sales professionals and Advertising VP. Details of these monthly documents will include examples of successes, areas that need improvement and suggestions for the following month.
15. Maintain knowledge about various governmental requirements imposed on advertisers for purposes of customer counseling and policy development.
16. Know Advertising department procedures and company policies.
17. Maintain regular communication with management team.
18. Must maintain open channels of communication and cooperation with Sales, Advertising Operations, Marketing, News and Credit Departments to achieve high levels of cooperation and service with internal and external Customers.
19. Work in conjunction with Advertising VP to set goals/pay commissions.
20. Maintain and contribute to a good productive team environment among Advertising employees and managers. Participate in decision making process with Advertising management team.
21. Corporate BH Media duties as assigned.
NECESSARY KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
1. Ability to mentor, coach and direct personnel in an effective manner.
2. Ability to use independent judgment and communicate effectively with all levels of personnel and customers.
3. Knowledge and ability to work in a PC environment.
4. Knowledge and experience in using Microsoft Office.
5. Strong problem solving and analytical skills.
6. Excellent interpersonal, communication and professional presentation skills.
7. Strong administrative and organization skills.
8. Ability to react to change productively.
9. Ability to work under pressure and within established goals and objectives.
10. Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize projects with multiple and competing deadlines.
11. Ability to deal with stressful situations calmly and professionally.
12. Understanding of the competitive media market with ability to monitor and adjust according to market demands.
13. Must be able to work with all levels of team members including other departments and senior management.
14. A strong attendance record is required including the ability to work a flexible schedule to accommodate special projects and other work demands.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
1. Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university or equivalent experience in online media sales management environment preferred.
2. Five or more years of previous leadership experience within a sales/customer service environment.
3. Online Advertising and Marketing experience.
4. Solid working knowledge and understanding of inside/outside advertising sales processes, procedures and systems.
5. Proven successful sales performance/sales leadership background.
Please send resume to Jen Snow with job position in subject line.